Translate

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Really?




Good day readers,


  I had the most odd thing happen this morning.  I  was informally talking with another person and he wanted to ask some questions regarding my views on topics.  I said “sure”.   Below is a condensed…slightly edited version of the conversation.

Q.   What do you feel about 1919?
   
A.    Hmmmmm….is that a new tax code or are you referring to the precursor to the Great Depression?

Q.    No, the year of Women’s Suffrage….when women could vote.
A.    Actually, the year was 1920.

Q.    What do you feel about women being able to vote?
A.     Really?  You are seriously asking me that?

Q.     Yeah,  it’s because of women that Clinton and Obama were elected president….among women who vote, 56% vote Democratic.
A.      So I should switch from Independent to Democratic then?

Q.     Really,  I study history…it’s true.
A.     Do you live like it’s 1919 or 1920?


At this point, I ask him a question :   Have you ever heard of the Electoral College?

No response….

    The Electoral College, as archaic as it actually is, are the folks that cast the deciding votes to determine who the next president will be...unfortunately, the president is not elected by popular vote.

   It scares me that there are people with such a narrow scope…no vision and obviously living in the past somehow.   Believe me, he isn’t the only one.  There may be millions of people….hundreds of millions who feel that way.  Maybe not as extreme , but really?   During my life, I have voted Democrat…and I have voted Republican.  I have not subscribed to one view or ideology.  I have voted for the person I felt could accomplish the goals they set forth.  Have I always voted correctly, even though I have voted for some literal “bummers”?   I would say “yes” because I voted with my heart.   I have met some folks that vote one way or the other, not only because they believe the background of the “party” itself, but believe somehow, that their elected officials will benefit them.  This will be my most difficult task….to get folks that are hard set in their beliefs to look “ outside the box “.  Has any particular party really done anything for America lately?  I am going to continue posting important issues on here.  Let me finish this post by stating firmly…I have focus and vision.  I have never been so narrow of mind as the person I talked with earlier…  and never will be.  Have a great day everyone!!


   Trevor M Dodge

No comments:

Post a Comment