Translate

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Rock(ing) Springs, WY......Why? Because it ROCKS!!



  I had the pleasure of meeting another terrific soldier supporter in Rock Springs , Wyoming.  The first time I met Joann was after my return from my first National Guard deployment in 2005.  I had traveled South initially, through Oregon and California, then through Nevada and Utah, on my way to my grandmother's house in Kansas.  The weather was incrementally getting worse...mind you, this trip was started in late February and many parts of the US were still cold..some places colder than others.  I was looking for a Highway heading East...more specifically....one that wasn't closed due to snow or ice.  It didn't take me long to realize that I wouldn't be able to see grandma this trip...so I continued North until I saw US 82 ( I believe ) and turned right heading East, towards Rock Springs, WY.  I passed a beautiful Gorge...like a mini canyon.  Want to say it was "Flaming Gorge"...but at the time, I didn't stop to take photos and it was becoming dusk. I knew I had about another hour to travel...so kept going.   I arrived in the early evening and booked a hotel room.  I didn't know much about the city, but knew there was a tavern across the street....going to have to forgive me this trespass...after many miles on the road...a tasty beer can satisfy a thirst and calm the nerves.  I called Joann and we met that evening, shared a hug and talked for a bit.  I was tired after driving many miles and went to sleep.  The next day....we were off.....Joann driving and showing me around.  The city was growing because of the expanding oil and natural gas industry.  We were driving towards Boar's Tusk landmark....which is the "neck" of a dead volcano...I think.  Such a dis-service because Joann explained it very well.  I only spent a couple days there, because the bad weather was heading West for some reason...and that's the direction I had to travel to get home.  I tried to get ahead of the weather, but never quite managing that.  Along the highway heading home, the roads were clear until I had to top these three hills...more like small mountains. There were snow flurries and ice at the tops...so I slowed and made it safely home.  I had the pleasure to see Joann a second time in 2008. My brother and I were making the trip to grandma's house....I figured that we could travel Hwy 82 to Cheyenne, WY...then South through Colorado and into Kansas.  I made a surprise call to Joann when we were closer to Rock Springs and met up with her there.  We couldn't stay very long...but I got another hug and she presented me with an awesome coin from her work!  Definitely won't be my last visit to see Joann or the beautiful state that is Wyoming!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment