Translate

Friday, October 21, 2011

Hunger in America....could be someone you know.....



Dear readers,

  From the start, I want to assure you that I am making no correlation between hunger in the US and say, parts of Africa. While the numbers of people who are hungry in America is large..our situation isn't as dire.

  I remember seeing that political cartoon several years back....about not being "hungry" and being "food insecure".  I remember laughing at the cartoon...but did it change the fact?  Were they still not hungry?

  Again, I would rather give some one who is hungry a meal, or information about companies that are hiring.

  My brother, J, started growing pumpkins over a decade ago.  His price for folks to take a pumpkin or two was a can of food or non perishable item.  Over the years, he had collected bag after bag of food, and then donated the food to local food banks.  I have found when I go shopping ( usually with a list ), I will look for non perishables and staples and buy those as well...only to drive to the food bank and drop it off.  I know there are again, many national groups that want to help the homeless,the  hungry and children, but what is even better are some of the local community and church groups.

A terrific national organisation is Share Our Strength; they are based out of Washington D.C. but have great out reach and are pro active in wanting to end childhood hunger.

http://www.strength.org/

The next link will enable you to find a food bank...nearly anywhere in the world.

http://gfn.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=foodbanking_find&gclid=CNKQyryx-asCFexYmAodcTHumw

   My last thought on this page today....as much food as the US exports; I am certain that some of that food  could make it to food banks nationally, before it is shipped overseas.  Additionally, remember...I have pledged a full 25% of my pay as president to help local Washington State food banks and programs.  I hope I can get Congress to do the same.  Thank you for taking the time to read these posts....if you believe in them, share them....if you don't believe, but like the message...share them.

  Tomorrow I will tackle the ugly topic of Campaign Finances
     As of 21Oct2011:  My campaign finances        : $6.80
     As of 21Oct2011:  Current incumbent finances: $88,424,930


    Once I get the ball rolling and start to accept donations I will cease accepting donations LONG before the amount reaches the insane.  


Thanks again everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment