Translate

Friday, October 7, 2011

Arizona; Cactus, painted deserts and Tombstone.....No Les,No more



Hello friends,
   
    2008 was a busy travel time for me.  Between visiting my grandma in Kansas, and nearly a dozen soldier support friends, I drove to or through 23 states, and a little more than 3,400 miles.  On one trip between Kansas and westward, I found myself at the Four Corners Monument.  It is, roughly, where the corners of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona meet.  Geographically, a few feet off center....but interesting.  I discovered upon arriving, that Four Corners is a tourist mecca...there were campers, cars, trucks, dirt bikes...you name it, and it was there.  Shops nearby selling local art, necklaces, t-shirts and my favorite collectible...the shot glass.  There was a line to get your photograph taken at the monument....and the folks on the monument would just pass their camera to the next in line. Unfortunately, there was no one behind me...but a kind family walked back when they saw my dilemma and took the photo you see here. Me standing in four states at one time.
   I traveled South into Arizona headed toward Green Valley.  I was to meet my friends Bob and Mary C, who were down there visiting Bob's brother.  I caught up with them on my second day and asked about Tombstone....a legendary Wild West town....with the likes of Wyatt Earp, Doc Holliday and such.  About an hour east of Green Valley I found Tombstone Arizona. I took photos of all the grave markers, and bought postcards with photos of many of the figures that still popular today, either in movies or books.
   Arizona also has a lot of Saguaro Cactus...big, big cactus.  Animals can get water from the cactus....birds will peck holes into the side and drink.  It is unlawful and inadvisable for people to tamper with the cactus...they can really hurt.  Also,  Arizona has a beautiful "painted" desert....that will show different hues depending on how the light strikes it.  Most of the wonders of Arizona can be found online.  I recommend looking it up or visiting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment